Why Was My Workers’ Compensation Claim Denied?
August 28, 2020
When you are injured on the job, you expect your workers’ compensation claim to cover your damages. So, it can feel confusing when you receive a letter stating that you are denied. Without workers’ compensation benefits, how will you cover your expenses? Who will cover the cost of your medical bills? A denial is not always a final decision and you may have appeal options.
Top Reasons Why Your New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Claims Was Denied
It is important to know why your workers’ compensation claim was denied. These are a few of the most common reasons:
- The worker was not working when the injury occurred: If there is any question as to whether or not the worker was completing approved work tasks when the injury occurred, the claim may be denied. Additionally, any situations of misconduct or a lack of documentation can lead to a denial.
- Missing due dates or required paperwork: The state of New Jersey has strict timelines when it comes to filing due dates and required paperwork. Missing these due dates can lead to a claim being denied. New Jersey requires filing the first report within 32 days after notice of the work injury is given.
- Worker’s injuries are not included in workers’ compensation coverage: What is, and is not, included with workers’ compensation varies from state to state.
- The claim was filed after the employee left the job: Workers’ compensation claims that are filed after the employee leaves the job are often denied. Additional evidence may be needed.
These are just a few of the common reasons why workers’ compensation claims are denied in New Jersey. Depending on the details of the case, it may be possible to appeal the decision.
Important Steps to Take if Your Claim is Denied
Just because your first claim was denied does not mean that the decision is final. You may be eligible to file an appeal, which allows you to challenge the decision or provide additional evidence. Follow these steps if your workers’ compensation claim was denied:
- Evaluate the denial letter: You will often find details as to why you were denied in your denial letter. You can also discuss the details of your case with a lawyer.
- Consider appealing the decision: The denial letter will include information on how you can appeal the decision. There are multiple levels of appeals available.
- Gather other documentation: Other documentation, or evidence, may be required to appeal the claim. This might include medical or employment records.
- Consider hiring a lawyer: If you were denied, it may be beneficial to work through the appeals process with a workers’ compensation lawyer. Your lawyer can help you determine why you were denied and what other information is needed. They can also help you determine the best appeals process to take.
Every workers’ compensation case is different. Because of this, it is important to discuss the individual details of your case with a lawyer. The appeals process can be confusing and having a knowledgeable New Jersey workers’ compensation lawyer on your side can increase your chances of being approved following an appeal.
Contact a Cherry Hill Workers’ Compensation Lawyer to Discuss Your New Jersey Workplace Injury Case
A workplace injury can be devastating, particularly if it prevents you from returning to work for an extended period of time. Although New Jersey Workers’ Compensation laws are supposed to provide you with reimbursement for medical expenses and replacement pay for missed time at work, it is not always easy to get the Workers’ Comp benefits you deserve. That is why you should speak with a knowledgeable Workers’ Compensation lawyer about your situation and get guidance throughout the claims process. The experienced Workers’ Compensation attorneys at Garber Law, P.C. represent clients in Camden, Cherry Hill, Gloucester Township, Winslow, and all across New Jersey. Call (856) 435-5800 or fill out our online contact form today to schedule a consultation about your work injury case. Our main office is located at The Greens of Laurel Oak, 1200 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 104, Voorhees, NJ 08043 and we also have an office in Philadelphia, PA.
Garber Law, P.C. Has Achieved Numerous
Multi-Million Dollar Results
Get The Compensation You Deserve!
Settlements and verdicts may vary and are based on the many factors of your case, etc.
(The below information may not apply to your settlement and verdict).
$10 Million Dollars
Settlement During Trial for a Leg Amputation
★Mr. Garber is amazing! He walked me through my lawsuit every step of the way and answered all of my questions. Not only is he a great lawyer, but he was very caring about my feelings and health throughout the whole process. Thank you, Mr. Garber, for everything you’ve done for me, especially for winning my case!
★Working with the firm was my best decision. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable and definitely worked hard for their clients. I would highly recommend them.
★Mr. Garber is simply the best. Very knowledgeable, honest, and helpful throughout the whole process. He has been practicing law for many years and is a true professional in the courtroom. Joel Wayne Garber will fight hard for what you deserve.