New Jersey is one of the strictest states when it comes to drug convictions and possible consequences. Not only could convicted offenders face expensive fines, but they could also be subject to jail time. Understanding what charges you face, as well as the possible consequences is important when preparing for your upcoming case.
Potential Penalties for Drug Convictions in New Jersey
The penalties for a drug conviction in New Jersey depend on the type of drug and the amount that is in possession. Potential penalties include the following:
- Possession of controlled substances/narcotics: Individuals face three-five years in prison and legal fines between $1,000-$25,000.
- Possession of marijuana, less than 50-grams: Individuals face up to six months of jail time and legal fines of up to $1,000.
- Possession of marijuana, with over 50 grams: Individuals face up to 18 months of jail time and legal fines between $500-$15,000. Individuals could also lose their driver’s license and be ordered to take drug rehabilitation classes.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia: Legal charges of possession of drug paraphernalia are often in combination with other charges. Individuals face up to six months in jail and legal fines between $500-$1,000. It is also possible that the state will suspend the driver’s license in addition to legal charges.
- Possession with intent to distribute, less than .5-oz of heroin or cocaine: Individuals face between three-five years of jail time and legal fines of up to $75,000.
- Possession with intent to distribute, between .5-oz-five-oz of heroin or cocaine: Individuals face between five-10 years of jail time and legal fines of up to $150,000.
- Possession with intent to distribute, over 5-oz of heroin or cocaine: Individuals face up to 25 years of jail time and legal fines of up $500,000.
New Jersey Marijuana Charges
Possession with intent to distribute marijuana charges depend on the amount of drugs in possession too. Individuals face the following:
- Under one ounce of marijuana: Individuals face up to 18 months of jail time and legal fines of up to $10,000.
- One ounce or less than five ounces: Individuals face up to five years of jail time and legal fines of up to $25,000.
- Five-pounds -less than 25-pounds: Individuals face up to 10 years of jail time and legal fines of up to $150,000.
- More than 25-pounds: Individuals face up to 25 years of jail time and legal fines of up to $300,000.
There are numerous marijuana bills in progress that work toward the decriminalization of marijuana charges. However, these bills have not yet made it into signing, meaning a drug conviction, even with minimal amounts of marijuana, can lead to significant charges.
Why Work With an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer
The state of New Jersey is strict when it comes to drug charges. If convicted, you could face jail time and hundreds or thousands of dollars of legal fines. When you choose to work with a criminal defense lawyer who is familiar with New Jersey’s laws, there may be options available to reduce your sentence. This could mean the difference between jail time and probation. It could also mean the difference between a permanent drug charge on your record.
Contact an Experienced Cherry Hill Drug Defense Attorney About Your Drug Crime Charges in New Jersey
Have you been charged with a drug crime in the state of New Jersey? A drug crime conviction can carry with it heavy fines, jail time, and even a driver’s license suspension! That is why it is imperative that you speak with a qualified drug defense lawyer about your case. The criminal law lawyers at Garber Law represent clients who are charged with use, possession, production, distribution, and other related drug offenses in Camden, Cherry Hill, Gloucester Township, Winslow, and throughout New Jersey. Call (856) 435-5800 or fill out our confidential online form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office located at the Greens of Laurel Oak, 1200 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 104, Voorhees, NJ 08043, in addition to an office located in Philadelphia, PA.