10 Things You Should Do After a Car Accident
October 30, 2020
Being in a car accident can immediately fill you with fear and anxiety. You might wonder what will happen next, or what you’re supposed to do. You might question whether or not you should call the police, or an ambulance. These feelings of being overwhelmed can also cause you to miss important steps.
10 things That You Need to do After a Car Accident:
- Stop: Regardless of the severity of the car accident, it is important to always stop. Driving away from the scene of an accident is illegal.
- Check the safety of every passenger: One of the first, and most important, things to do is to check the safety of every passenger. Call 911, if needed.
- Call the police: It is always a good idea to notify the police of the accident, so you can have a police report. Your insurance company may also require a police report. Notify the other drivers of your plans to call the police.
- Recount the details of the accident: If possible, think through the events that led to the accident, before the police arrive. Some people feel anxious when recounting the accident to the police, but the details that you give are important. Write down any details that you can remember including the actions of each driver.
- Begin to collect evidence: The police will likely collect evidence, like photographs of the damages, but it is also helpful if you do it yourself. Take photographs of each vehicle and its damages. You can also get photos of the location of the scene of the accident.
- Collect witness information: Witnesses may or may not be important to your case, so it is useful to get their information now.
- Exchange information with other drivers: Again, the police may gather this information, but it can be helpful to have your own copy. Get their name, address, phone number, and information on their insurance provider. Be sure to give them your information also.
- Notify your insurance company: Most insurance companies have strict timelines on how long you have to notify them of an accident. For this reason, it is a good idea to notify them as soon as possible.
- Consider medical care: Even if you feel fine, it is usually a good idea to follow up with a medical provider.
- Discuss your case with a lawyer: You may or may not need a lawyer, but discussing the details of your case with one can be useful, allowing you to consider your options.
New Jersey is a no-fault auto insurance state, meaning you will receive compensation for any damages or medical bills from your insurance provider. However, if your damages or injuries exceed your policy limits, a lawyer may be able to help you recover the additional costs. While it may be the last thing on the list, it is important to do this as soon as possible.
Contact a Gloucester Township Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Garber Law, P.C. represent clients injured because of a car accident in Cherry Hill, Gloucester Township, Lindenwold, Collingswood, and throughout New Jersey. Call (856) 435-5800 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1200 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 104, Voorhees, NJ 08043, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.
Garber Law, P.C. Has Achieved Numerous
Multi-Million Dollar Results
Get The Compensation You Deserve!
Settlements and verdicts may vary and are based on the many factors of your case, etc.
(The below information may not apply to your settlement and verdict).
$10 Million Dollars
Settlement During Trial for a Leg Amputation
★Mr. Garber is amazing! He walked me through my lawsuit every step of the way and answered all of my questions. Not only is he a great lawyer, but he was very caring about my feelings and health throughout the whole process. Thank you, Mr. Garber, for everything you’ve done for me, especially for winning my case!
★Working with the firm was my best decision. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable and definitely worked hard for their clients. I would highly recommend them.
★Mr. Garber is simply the best. Very knowledgeable, honest, and helpful throughout the whole process. He has been practicing law for many years and is a true professional in the courtroom. Joel Wayne Garber will fight hard for what you deserve.