New Jersey has its fair share of shopping malls. Before you and your family head to the local shopping mall for some back-to-school shopping, it can be beneficial to consider the steps you should take if injured while visiting one.
Common Causes of Slip and Falls in Shopping Malls
Shopping malls can be busy. In addition to the crowds of shoppers, you also often have mall walkers and aisles of inventory. These are just a few of the causes that lead to slip and falls in shopping malls. Here are a few other common causes:
- Slippery floors: Slippery floors, from rainy or snowy weather, can lead shoppers to slip and fall.
- Loose floorboards: Loose floorboards or floor tiles can cause shoppers to trip and fall on the floor.
- Crowded aisles: Crowded aisles with boxes of inventory can make it difficult for shoppers to get around the mall.
- Littered aisles: Garbage or other debris can also fill up the already busy aisles, leading to a slip and fall risk.
No one ever expects to slip and fall and experience an injury while shopping at a local shopping mall. However, it does happen, and knowing what to do when it does is important to ensure proper care.
Steps to Take Following a Slip and Fall Accident
If you, or your family member, slips and falls while visiting a shopping mall, follow these steps:
- Receive medical care: The first thing to always do following any type of injury is to receive medical care.
- Notify the store: It is also important to notify the store of the accident so they can take the necessary steps to fix it so other shoppers don’t also get hurt.
- Collect evidence: You may need evidence to help with identifying who is responsible for the accident. This may be photographs or witness statements as to what happened that led to your injury.
- Contact a lawyer: A slip and fall can lead to a minor backache, or it can lead to an expensive and painful injury. If you are required to take time off work and have piling medical bills, it is time to contact a New Jersey slip and fall lawyer.
It is not always easy to determine what happened when a slip and fall accident occurs. There are many people who may be to blame. For example, if the shopper is distracted and not looking ahead, they may walk into an object which causes them to slip and fall.
A slip and fall can also be the fault of the store, such as if they fail to mop up a spill or to repair a loose floorboard. In this case, they may also be responsible for your damages, which may include your medical bills and lost wages. Getting to the bottom of what happened is important.
A personal injury lawyer who is familiar with New Jersey’s premise liability laws and personal injury compensation processes is important to your case. They can help you collect the necessary evidence. A personal injury lawyer can also help you determine the value of your case while you focus on your recovery.
Contact a Cherry Hill Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Slip and Fall Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a slip and fall in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Garber Law represent clients injured because of a slip and fall in Cherry Hill, Winslow, Voorhees, Collingswood, and throughout New Jersey. Call (856) 435-5800 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at The Greens of Laurel Oak, 1200 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 104, Vorhees, NJ 08043, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.